Anne loves IPAs, especially ones with a citrus and piney hop character.
This is the first recipe I’ve designed (using the fantastic open source Brewtarget 1.2.4 software) that I think is worth brewing, and after lots of useful feedback from r/Homebrewing and my beer circle on G+, this is what I came up with.
The idea is to make something moderately to very hoppy (~50IBU) with some caramel flavour to back it up.
I’ll probably tweak it a little bit more before I actually brew it, but I’m ready to share it in public.
#VandalEyesPA - American IPA
Batch Size: 5.402 gal
Boil Size: 6.296 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Bitterness: 47.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 10 SRM (Morey)
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 14.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 73%% 1 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Grain 10.000 oz Yes No 74%% 80 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 2.000 oz Yes No 74%% 60 L
Total grain: 15.250 lb
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Chinook 13.0%% 0.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 17.9
Centennial 10.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 14.4
Centennial 10.5%% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 7.2
Cascade 6.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 6.0
Cascade 6.0%% 0.500 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 1.6
Cascade 6.0%% 0.500 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary
NOTE: WLP001 OR WYEAST1056 WOULD ALSO WORK.
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
MASH Infusion 4.531 gal 176.689 F 155.000 F 60.000 min
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 3.808 gal 187.812 F 165.200 F 15.000 min
OPTIONAL: .5 ounces Cascade and .5 ounces Centennial (whole leaf) for dry-hopping. 7 days in secondary.
0) Add 14.000 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US, 8.000 oz Briess - Carapils Malt, 10.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L, 2.000 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L, to the mash tun.
1) Bring 4.531 gal water to 176.689 F, 3.808 gal water to 187.812 F, for upcoming infusions.
2) Add 4.531 gal water at 176.689 F to mash to bring it to 155.000 F. Hold for 60.000 min.
GO AHEAD AND ROUND IT TO 4.5 GALLONS.
3) Add 3.808 gal water at 187.812 F to mash to bring it to 165.200 F. Hold for 15.000 min.
THAT IS 3 GALLONS + 3 QUARTS FOR THE SPARGE, MATH FACE.
4) Bring the wort to a boil and hold for 60.000 min.
5) Put 1.000 oz Chinook into boil for 60.000 min.
6) Put 1.000 oz Cascade into boil for 15.000 min.
7) Put 1.000 oz Cascade into boil for 10.000 min.
8) Put 0.500 oz Cascade into boil for 5.000 min.
9) Put 0.500 oz Cascade into boil for 0.000 s.
10) Stop boiling the wort.
11) You should have 5.463 gal wort post-boil.
You anticipate losing 0.960 cup to trub and chiller loss.
The final volume in the primary is 5.403 gal.
12) Cool wort and pitch Safale S-05 Ale yeast, to the primary.
13) Let ferment until FG is 1.018.
14) Transfer beer to secondary.
- thedoorkeep likes this
- brouke-eden likes this
- bstaps reblogged this from wilwheaton
- dangthelad likes this
- mudshark58 likes this
- savrona likes this
- frakkincylon likes this
- thingsyouseeiniowa likes this
- inscienceandcatgames likes this
- whiskeyprincess08 likes this
- heylauraqq likes this
- yaki-science reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- thesoulthescreen likes this
- introvertedone likes this
- farmpuma likes this
- chkvlr likes this
- megcherie likes this
- thelonelyturnip reblogged this from wilwheaton
- shadowhawck likes this
- feedthecrows reblogged this from wilwheaton
- sarahbellumatx likes this
- jesusandaustria likes this
- maybethings reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- kitsunecaligari likes this
- fortune-n-glory likes this
- jewishcarpenter likes this
- mauderewrite reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- newfriendly likes this
- tennis-stars likes this
- emmettarthur likes this
- falcaomagistral likes this
- bottledwood likes this
- 8-ltmb-8 likes this
- scitchet likes this
- shawntragedy likes this
- atheatregeek2 likes this
- stonehenge1121 likes this
- darthpredator likes this
- michaelrperry6 likes this
- thecomababies likes this
- jbreazeale likes this
- mypumpkineyes likes this
- shegetsby likes this
- shimozu likes this
- imdpenguin reblogged this from wilwheaton
- dyp100 likes this
- lieinthegutter-lookatthestars likes this
- whoviansingularity likes this
- afewdrunkcaptains likes this
- scubapoet likes this