It is astounding how significantly one idea can shape a society and its policies. Consider this one.
If taxes on the rich go up, job creation will go down.
This idea is an article of faith for Republicans and seldom challenged by Democrats and has shaped much of today’s economic landscape.
But sometimes the ideas that we know to be true are dead wrong. For thousands of years people were sure that earth was at the center of the universe. It’s not, and an astronomer who still believed that it was, would do some lousy astronomy.
In the same way, a policy maker who believed that the rich and businesses are “job creators” and therefore should not be taxed, would make equally bad policy.
I have started or helped start, dozens of businesses and initially hired lots of people. But if no one could have afforded to buy what we had to sell, my businesses would all have failed and all those jobs would have evaporated.
That’s why I can say with confidence that rich people don’t create jobs, nor do businesses, large or small. What does lead to more employment is a “circle of life” like feedback loop between customers and businesses. And only consumers can set in motion this virtuous cycle of increasing demand and hiring. In this sense, an ordinary middle-class consumer is far more of a job creator than a capitalist like me.
|—||Nick Hanauer, a venture capitalist whose TED talk about inequality was deemed “too political controversial” to publish. (via theatlantic)|
- triplestandard reblogged this from theatlantic
- addledbrains likes this
- veewatt likes this
- whatcandeeloves reblogged this from theatlantic
- candeecheeshuyee likes this
- sadbratclub reblogged this from girl-violence
- angstylittleshit likes this
- cheerleadering reblogged this from candycanemiscreant
- mechadna reblogged this from rainbowmash
- rainbowmash reblogged this from lillithimmaculate
- minislice likes this
- candycanemiscreant reblogged this from lillithimmaculate
- lillithimmaculate reblogged this from lemiel14n3
- lillithimmaculate likes this
- lemiel14n3 reblogged this from wilwheaton
- alexisrambles reblogged this from beatwritersbane
- afterthinking reblogged this from milenab
- adamleefrederick13 likes this
- kogiopsis likes this
- simpaticonebula likes this
- bigwindupfan likes this
- ridingthewingedunicorn reblogged this from beatwritersbane
- insertcatchywittyphrasehere reblogged this from beatwritersbane
- insertcatchywittyphrasehere likes this
- curiouser-andcuri-ouser reblogged this from beatwritersbane
- beatwritersbane reblogged this from emptymanuscript
- short-for-bob reblogged this from libraryphantomg5
- memoryepsilon likes this
- libraryphantomg5 reblogged this from randomcrapbycj
- libraryphantomg5 likes this
- think-free reblogged this from fuckyeahliberalatheists
- slaughterhousefive likes this
- libraryfines likes this
- colonialliberal reblogged this from theadventuresofjess
- oocbear reblogged this from theatlantic
- if-our-worlds-collide likes this
- theadventuresofjess reblogged this from if-our-worlds-collide
- boodlesandtonicplz reblogged this from wilwheaton
- beranyth likes this
- mygoodrabbit reblogged this from signcherie
- angelicdiaspora reblogged this from sadrobotinabowlerhat
- sadrobotinabowlerhat reblogged this from wilwheaton
- youonlyloveoppas reblogged this from theatlantic
- theheightsofmachupicchu likes this
- a-curious-creature reblogged this from utnereader
- imtoorealforyou likes this
- dreamofbecoming reblogged this from wilwheaton
- lyanth reblogged this from wilwheaton
- fractalsaurus reblogged this from wilwheaton
- oosmik likes this